Health care workers are in high demand, with home care employment a fast-growing sector of the industry. Starting your health care career as a Home Health Aide can lead to a wide range of advancement opportunities.
Authorized by the Affordable Care Act, Montefiore’s Health Professions Opportunity Grants (HPOG) program provides education and training to TANF recipients and other low-income individuals for occupations in the health care field that pay well and are expected to either experience labor shortages or be in high demand.
Montefiore HPOG partners with Montefiore Home Care divisions, leading Home Health Aide training agencies, and a variety of community based organizations. These strong partnerships provide participants a wide variety of high quality services to help build a health care career.
Montefiore HPOG participants have opportunities for:
• Free home health aide training in both English and Spanish.
• Immediate employment once you successfully complete training.
• A variety of supports including uniforms and transportation assistance.
• A HPOG Vocational Counselor to help overcome barriers to your success.
• Career advancement opportunities.
• Personalized employment assessments.
• Basic skills development, including high school equivalency, literacy and ESOL.
• Job placement and retention services to get and keep your job in health care.
• Career advancement services.
• Additional training opportunities and Post-secondary education assistance.
For more information, please view our Frequently Asked Questions
(FAQs) below or call us at:
Montefiore HPOGTel.: 844-211-HPOG (4764)
• What is the Montefiore HPOG Program?
• What is the role of my Montefiore Vocational Counselor?
• How can I get Montefiore Vocational Counselor services?
• How will my Montefiore Vocational Counselor understand what I need?
• How do I contact my Montefiore Vocational Counselor if I have questions or need assistance?
• Can Montefiore HPOG give me advice on career advancement?
• Can Montefiore Vocational Counselors connect me with other services I need to get a job?
What is the Montefiore HPOG Program?
HPOG is funded by the US Department of Health and Human Services and implemented by Montefiore Medical Center, to help individuals complete training and get jobs as Home Health Aides. Based in the Bronx, our Home Health Aide training agency partners are in the Bronx, Manhattan, and Westchester.
What is the role of my Montefiore Vocational Counselor?
Montefiore Vocational Counselor help you identify obstacles you are facing that interfere with your ability to get and keep a job as a Home Health Aide. The Vocational Counselor can help you in removing these obstacles, to help succeed and advance in your new career.
How can I get Montefiore Vocational Counselor services?
Services are available if you are selected to participate in HPOG and enroll with a partner agency. Eligible applicants will be selected by lottery to participate in HPOG. Not all eligible applicants will be selected to participate in these opportunities. You may also contact Montefiore HPOG (844) 411-HPOG (844-411-4764) where you can ask for program information and obtain a referral to one of our partner agencies.
How will my Montefiore Vocational Counselor understand what I need during training and employment?
Montefiore Vocational Counselors conduct an employment assessment to determine your vocational strengths and limitations, and to help direct you to the appropriate services. Your counselor will stay in contact with you throughout your Home Health Aide training. Vocational Counselors also stay in contact with your training agency and staff, to ensure successful training completion and job placement.
How do I get in touch with my Montefiore Vocational Counselor if I have questions or need assistance?
HPOG Vocational Counselors are on site at your Home Health Aide training agency on a weekly basis. Your counselor will provide contact information so can you text, phone or set up an in person appointment.
Can Montefiore HPOG give me advice on career advancement?
Yes. Montefiore Vocational Counselors can help improve your current skills, and refer you to additional training programs so you have the opportunity to advance within the healthcare industry.
Can Montefiore Vocational Counselors connect me with other services, I need to get a job?
Yes. Montefiore Vocational Counselors will refer you to outside agencies that offer assistance with a variety of helpful services, including (but not limited to): Childcare, Transportation, Financial Assistance, Housing, Food Pantries, Clothing Needs, and more.